8º Guachinche

Hellooo

I want to intruduce to my non-Canarian followers the term "Guachinche"
A Guachinche is a restaurant where they only serve typical canarian food, but really traditional its not fancy or posh, usually you find guachinches in the garages of a house (but a nice garage with everything tidy and clean) and you can only find them in the high areas of the island like La Perdoma or La Florida. 

How does it work? Easy, you just go and if you dont know what they have you have to look at a big blackboard (because they dont have a menu) where they write what they have that day and you have to specify if you want a whole plate or just half a plate of what you ordered, also each guachinche serve their own house wine. 

The story behind this is that it all started by people who wanted to sell their house wine but they didnt want people to get too drunk therefore they started serving little plates of food with your drink and now people go more for the traditional food.
I really like going to a guachinche after being months out of Spain, it feels like home again and I must tell you I didnt like canarian food at first but I love it now. It is one of my favourite places and I'm going to show you one that I usually visit.



Lydia Austin

Xo


Comments

Popular Posts